Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hide and Seek

This is my latest creation. A poem.
Read it and let me know what you thought of it !

HIDE AND SEEK
-----------------------

"I am going to start counting",
The little child screamed.
His excitement was mounting;
The game was fun; or so it seemed.

"One, two, three, four, five, six;
You better find a good place to hide";
Life held up its sleeve strange tricks;
Unknown to him, his childhood had died.

He opened his eyes only to find
Himself in a land so strange;
"Now am I out of my mind?
Or did things around here change?"

Books seemed to float mid-air,
This must be my worst nightmare!
Calendars without holidays?
Oh boy! What can I say?

You finish off work to get more instead?
Is this all you do till you drop dead?
Infinite chores and unpaid bills;
Worries don't end there; there's more still.

It hit him then...he could see
That life wasn't as it used to be.
He was drained of every drop of joy;
Realization dawned; he was no longer a boy!

The child retorted and then he said:

I want to go to the beach and get sandy,
And sink my teeth into cotton candy;
I want to enjoy climbing a tree,
Be in Nature's lap and breathe free.

With my friends I want to play ball,
Lay down on a heap of leaves in fall.
And get all wet in the rain;
Knowing no sorrow; knowing no pain.

But then he awoke after a sleep
And was extremely surprised to find,
He was a boy again; it made him weep,
God is great! He is indeed kind!

I will have to grow up tomorrow,
And face life's joys and sorrows.
For now, let me have things my way;
Let me be a child today.

*******************************************************************************
Thought for the day:
I'd give all wealth that years have piled,
The slow result of Life's decay,
To be once more a little child
For one bright summer day.
~Lewis Carroll, "Solitude"

2 comments:

  1. I have made a few unsuccessful attempts to write poems. So, I know how difficult it is. You have done a really good job.

    I liked the title and the way you linked the hide-and-seek game with the dream/nightmare. Hide and Seek could also be interpreted as Hiding from Adulthood and Seeking Childhood. Nice choice of title. :)

    Wonder why you kept on changing the style of rhyming your lines? And I think some lines don't rhyme. Take a look. :)

    I liked the way you managed to say what you had to say within the constraints of rhyme. On the few occasions that I have tried writing poems, I would write down the last two words of adjacent lines first, and then try filling up the blanks. Ha! Ha! That compromised the quality of the content in my poems.

    And yeah, a very relevant topic. I have often felt that our pleasures of growing up have been sacrificed at the altar of academics and cut-throat competition. (Really felt so in the 11th and 12th).

    So, yes. I would like to be a child too and celebrate life like the may fly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah Wah... Mohtarma kafi achcha likhti hain!
    But seriously... it was nice! Especially the lines..
    You finish off work to get more instead?
    Is this all you do till you drop dead?
    Infinite chores and unpaid bills;
    Worries don't end there; there's more still
    It seems life's is a journey where we are meant to work the way the world considers the best. And I liked that u chose Hide&Seek over PLAYSTATION!!!!!!
    Nice...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...